World-leading research capability for the ruminant sector
Beef and sheep production faces challenges in several areas including changes to farm support mechanisms, environmental legislation, fragmented supply chains, price volatility and relatively low adoption of new technologies.
To improve productivity, profitability & sustainability in the sector, CIEL investment is focused on genetic improvement, precision nutrition, disease reduction, novel management approaches and environmental measurement.
- Soil, water quality and ecosystem services
- Grazing research and farm system-based analysis
- Nutritional efficiency and energy metabolism
- Grassland farming, ruminant metabolism, food science
- Virology / immunology / vaccinology and bioinformatics
Additional expertise and facilities to support the beef and sheep sector are also available through the following CIEL academic partners: Harper Adams University; University of Edinburgh Roslin Institute; Newcastle University; University of Bristol; and University of Nottingham.